Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does my Joye 510 atomizer taste burnt?

Wink Why does my Joye 510 atomizer taste burnt?

Good morning,
    I'm SUPER new to this...so I apologize. I quit smoking the Wed. before Thanksgiving, and have been vaping ever since. I started using the Smoking Everywhere e-cig...and moved on to the Joye 510 (thanks to reading the forums and stuff).

The ONLY few problems I have are these:

#1 - Occasionally, I get a real burnt taste. I've blown out the atomizer...changed the fiberfill in my cartridge...ensured there was enough liquid...trimmed off any extra fiberfill "fuzzies" that might be stray (above the top of the cartridge). I've even taken the cartridge off...held the manual button down to let it "burn off" whatever is on the heating element. What am I doing wrong? Do you just have to endure the taste and "smoke through it"? It's really gross. I even used a magnifying glass to see if there was any debris on the atty. UGH. HELP!

#2 - unsure how to properly clean the atomizer. I read to use mouthwash...so I tried that...dead atomizer. I was told to buy everclear and soak it...rinse it...blow it out and let it dry. haven't tried that yet...though I heard that using everclear will not only clean the atty but remove the burnt taste (which takes me back to question #1).

#3 - on some of the forums I see that people can actually "track" how many days they have been smoke free, and how much $$$ they have saved in the process (by vaping). How in the HELL do you set that up? I can't figure it out!!! (please note...question #3 isn't as important as #'s 1 & 2...but would love to know. It's a pain the ass to try and calculate how long I've been smoke free).

I have a lot of patience with the e-cig. I know there may occasionally be little problems...and that I need spare parts and stuff. My husband, on the other hand...NO patience. He's new to it. He won't take the time to put white fluffy stuff in the cartridge...blow out the atty...etc. when he wants to take a drag...it darn well better work (or he'll go buy a pack of smokes). I set up all his stuff for him in the mornings before he leaves for work...when I'm doing mine (I'm a good wife :-) So to have answers to these questions above will be helpful. I'd like to take good care of my stuff...and I do...but I don't want to ruin my atomizers in the process.

SO glad to have a place to ask questions. I hope someone can help answer them.

Ter

Quote Originally Posted by Ter View Post

#1 - Occasionally, I get a real burnt taste. I've blown out the atomizer...changed the fiberfill in my cartridge...ensured there was enough liquid...trimmed off any extra fiberfill "fuzzies" that might be stray (above the top of the cartridge). I've even taken the cartridge off...held the manual button down to let it "burn off" whatever is on the heating element. What am I doing wrong? Do you just have to endure the taste and "smoke through it"? It's really gross. I even used a magnifying glass to see if there was any debris on the atty. UGH. HELP!
    If you're using a full cart... maybe you are having a wicking problem. A couple things you can do. Put a couple drops directly on the atty, or try using a cart mod (I use pyramid tea bags for the most part).

#2 - unsure how to properly clean the atomizer. I read to use mouthwash...so I tried that...dead atomizer. I was told to buy everclear and soak it...rinse it...blow it out and let it dry. haven't tried that yet...though I heard that using everclear will not only clean the atty but remove the burnt taste (which takes me back to question #1).
    I never soak my attys in anything. All I do is blow them out each night and set them vertically so they drain (using Mamacat's kiddo's atty drainers). Each morning I put 2 drops of juice on the atty, and pop a full ptb cart on. Occasionally, when needed, I will do a few 30sec dry burns back to back to burn off gunk. My last atty lasted 2 months...

#3 - on some of the forums I see that people can actually "track" how many days they have been smoke free, and how much $$$ they have saved in the process (by vaping). How in the HELL do you set that up? I can't figure it out!!! (please note...question #3 isn't as important as #'s 1 & 2...but would love to know. It's a pain the ass to try and calculate how long I've been smoke free).
    Just click the one on my signature line and it will take you to the site

Well first of all - WELCOME!!!!

Good morning,
    I'm SUPER new to this...so I apologize. I quit smoking the Wed. before Thanksgiving, and have been vaping ever since. I started using the Smoking Everywhere e-cig...and moved on to the Joye 510 (thanks to reading the forums and stuff).

The ONLY few problems I have are these:

Well the 510 can get a little harsh tasting at times. What voltage are you vaping at - i.e., stock battery, 3.7, 5 or 6 volts? Also, you may already be aware of this, but those lil fibers in the 510 atty are supposed to be there.

You will find that most veterans will tell you NOT to soak your atty in anything. It is my experience to just blow it out at night and drain it over night (cart end down - atty end up). There is a good atty cleaning thread here, I will go find it. My first 901 lasted 6 months using this method. popped a few since then, but that is because I am vaping at 5 and 6 volts now. [ame="http://www.vapersforum.com/showthread.php?t=134"]Cleaning Atomizers - Vapers Forum[/ame]

I just dunno how to do this, so maybe someone else will help you.

I have a lot of patience with the e-cig. I know there may occasionally be little problems...and that I need spare parts and stuff. My husband, on the other hand...NO patience. He's new to it. He won't take the time to put white fluffy stuff in the cartridge...blow out the atty...etc. when he wants to take a drag...it darn well better work (or he'll go buy a pack of smokes). I set up all his stuff for him in the mornings before he leaves for work...when I'm doing mine (I'm a good wife :-) So to have answers to these questions above will be helpful. I'd like to take good care of my stuff...and I do...but I don't want to ruin my atomizers in the process.

SO glad to have a place to ask questions. I hope someone can help answer them.

Ter
    Again, welcome to VF and come join us in the NC Vapers Club area!! We would love to have you join us! We are one of the most active states in terms of meetings - just saying!

I am sure Queen, TnA, MidnightRider, TwixTween, Coop and the rest of the gang will be along shortly to welcome you!!!

[ame="http://www.vapersforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74"]North Carolina Vapers Club - Vapers Forum[/ame]

[ame="http://www.vapersforum.com/showthread.php?t=9173"]NCVC Meeting 1/23!! - Vapers Forum[/ame]
    Last edited by mamacat; 01-12-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added links
    Any opinions expressed are mine and mine alone. I represent no one and no one represents me. Kthx.

Lot of varying opinions on the cleaning process of the atty.. Have only had my 510 for half a week but after perusing forums and reading other's thoughts the last few days I have decided to use the same exact method Xeno is using. I will only soak my atty when it totally DIES (which it looks like there is a 50/50 success rate bringing them back from the dead)

I did a no-no and broke open all 5 atomizers when i got my 510 and tried them out.. apparently you shouldnt do that lol. But.. of the 5 I had 2 of them that I could NOT get the plastic taste out of them. I blew them both back out and let them sit for a few days and tried them yesterday and after a few 20 second burn offs.. redrip.. burn off.. the taste went away.

If you want a less fuss system for your husband you may want to consider going with a KR808 with cartomizers. Even though the 510 comes highly recommended, I personally feel a cartomizer method is better for people totally new to vaping. It does not produce quite as much vapor, but it is SOOO much less hassle and a filled cartomizer lasts a LOT longer for me than a 510 cart. I find it has a slightly better flavour as well, but that could just be me =)

From one new vapor to another, do yourself a favor and try the FluCured and Taboo juice from liquidXpress.com. I just did a review on them and they are hands down the best juice I have tried so far.

Good luck!
    -Az

"Do, or do not. There is no try.'"
    -- Jedi Master Yoda

Hi Ter and welcome to the forum! w00t! first post!!

You sound awfully familiar....have we met?

To address your questions:
    1. How often do you drag on your 510? If you are dragging on it constantly, there's a very good chance that the cartridge cannot wick liquid onto your atomizer fast enough to keep up with you. Also, when you changed the fiberfill in your cartridge, there's a possibility that you used too much. If you stuff too much fiberfill in your cartridge, it will just hold the liquid in the cartridge. Use too little and it will pour out of the cartridge onto your atomizer and result in the liquid leaking out through the connector to your battery. So, the trick is to find the right amount to use when restuffing your cartridges.
    2. The cleaning of the atomizer is not one that I endorse and I'm certainly too lazy to maintain any kind of cleaning regimen. But on the rare occasion that I feel the atomizer could benefit from cleaning, I do. I tried the Coca Cola bath (actually used Diet Coke since that's what I drink ) and before that, just a good flush under hot tap water. While they both do a good job of helping to flush out excess liquid, I've never been convinced that they break up any crud on the atomizer wick. However, this could be due to the fact that my atomizer wick doesn't really have much of any crud to break off. The same goes for the Everclear. It hasn't really shown to break off any crud for me, but I now prefer it because of the faster drying time and because it does a better job of removing unwanted taste from the atomizer. However, the Everclear definitely dries out the wick, so I've found it will take upwards of 5+ drops directly on the atomizer to reprime the wick. Just add a couple of drops, wait a minute, add a couple more, then puff on it to see if it produces vapor. If not, or if it's weak, add another drop and puff to test.
    3. Xeno gave you the perfect link for the smoking banner.

Hope this helps. Oh, and you are a GREAT wife! (wish I had a wife to set up my vaping supplies every morning :p) For hubby, one item I would consider might be cartomizers. All he has to do is screw on a cartomizer and puff away. Once it's used up, he can set it aside and just screw on a new one. Just like grabbing a cigarette, lighting it, and puffing away. The ones he's used up can either be thrown away (they are considered disposable), or YOU can try refilling them for future use. The cartomizers last upwards of 3 times longer than a single cartridge, so it might be more user friendly for hubby.

<waves at mamacat and xeno> hi guys!

*edit* Dang you guys type fast! I see that Azraehl posted a similar suggestion about the cartomizers. However, as a money-saving option, if you currently have enough 510 batteries to supply both you and your hubby with vaping for the day, I would suggest you consider a 510 to 901/KR808 adapter. It's just a small adapter that you screw onto your 510 battery so that you can use 901 atomizers and KR-808 cartomizers on them. That way, you won't have to mess around with another battery type to keep up with.
    Last edited by TnA; 01-12-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: about the KR-808 cartomizers
    "killing conversations one thread at a time"

Come visit our store at: www.ncvape.com

wow...I'm feelin' the love already. Thanks so much!

Xeno (first)...thanks for your help. Also...I absolutely clicked on your link and it took me to the smoking meter thingy. That's awesome...got it set up...and then (me...dummy) don't know what to do with it! I went into my signature area...don't know how to get it FROM the smoking meter site...to my signature (I copied the "BB CODE" it generated...but don't know where to paste it). UGH. Sad part is...I'm very computer "literate". So I am feeling quite dumb right about now.

MamaCat - Thanks to you too. I am currently using the 510 "mega" battery. I have no idea about volts and stuff like that. I ordered from strictlyejuice.com...they have been AWESOME. I bought a starter kit originally...and a mega battery (which looks like a friggin' tipparillo (sp?)). My husband and son confiscated my regular 510 batteries...so I'm using the monster battery...and it's just great. It's supposed to last twice as long...and to be honest...though it's super long...I don't care if people look at me funny. ha ha

Oh, and when I mentioned "fibers" i was talking about stray white fluffy from my fiberfill. Just so I'm clear on that. I won't fiddle with the stuff that belongs in there :-). I considered using that Fluval stuff (the fish filter stuff) but that stuff is like cardboard. I'd be at a loss to figure out how to cut that stuff up (though it might be worth a try...not real sure).

I know it just takes time, practice, experimenting, etc. But yuck...that burnt taste really sucks. I am thrilled to death to be cigarette free and have this alternative. Perhaps over time I will become a pro. And...now knowing that you get answers quickly...I will not hesitate to to post.

I will definitely join the NC Vapers Club. I met a vendor at the Raleigh Fair Grounds (flea market) who turned me onto this forum. I also go to the e-cigarette forum. He said this one is better...and mentioned the NC group. It is wonderful to have so many people banding together to help one another and share ideas and stuff. I LOVE IT!

Thank you thank you THANK YOU both.

Ter

Xeno (first)...thanks for your help. Also...I absolutely clicked on your link and it took me to the smoking meter thingy. That's awesome...got it set up...and then (me...dummy) don't know what to do with it! I went into my signature area...don't know how to get it FROM the smoking meter site...to my signature (I copied the "BB CODE" it generated...but don't know where to paste it). UGH. Sad part is...I'm very computer "literate". So I am feeling quite dumb right about now.

MamaCat - Thanks to you too. I am currently using the 510 "mega" battery. I have no idea about volts and stuff like that. I ordered from strictlyejuice.com...they have been AWESOME. I bought a starter kit originally...and a mega battery (which looks like a friggin' tipparillo (sp?)). My husband and son confiscated my regular 510 batteries...so I'm using the monster battery...and it's just great. It's supposed to last twice as long...and to be honest...though it's super long...I don't care if people look at me funny. ha ha

Oh, and when I mentioned "fibers" i was talking about stray white fluffy from my fiberfill. Just so I'm clear on that. I won't fiddle with the stuff that belongs in there :-). I considered using that Fluval stuff (the fish filter stuff) but that stuff is like cardboard. I'd be at a loss to figure out how to cut that stuff up (though it might be worth a try...not real sure).

I know it just takes time, practice, experimenting, etc. But yuck...that burnt taste really sucks. I am thrilled to death to be cigarette free and have this alternative. Perhaps over time I will become a pro. And...now knowing that you get answers quickly...I will not hesitate to to post.

I will definitely join the NC Vapers Club. I met a vendor at the Raleigh Fair Grounds (flea market) who turned me onto this forum. I also go to the e-cigarette forum. He said this one is better...and mentioned the NC group. It is wonderful to have so many people banding together to help one another and share ideas and stuff. I LOVE IT!

Thank you thank you THANK YOU both.

Ter
    The fluval is nice and not too hard to manipulate. TwixTween gave me some at one of our gatherings and I have been using it ever since. Hope you will be able to attend one soon, as it will help you out quite a bit.

Also, TnA is who you met. He posted already! lol We lurv us some TnA around here!
    Any opinions expressed are mine and mine alone. I represent no one and no one represents me. Kthx.

Just go to the User CP link up top... click on signature, paste that BB Code into the text box, and save it

TNA - thanks for the suggestions as well.

We have met...if you're my juice provider at the Raleigh flea market! ha ha (totally true though).

I just wanted to say that occasionally, I drag...then wait a few...then drag again. When I'm havin' a glass of wine or beer, I might hit it a little harder. I try and remember not to hit it too frequently...cuz that atomizer gets hot. AND...the other day my atomizer was STOKING hot...and I wasn't pressing the button. It's almost like the manual button got stuck in the on position (yet the tip wasn't glowing blue). I quickly unscrewed it and let it cool.

I'm trying to figure out "just the right amount of fluff". Maybe I was packing it too full (that would more likely be my case...as opposed to too little). I'll try cutting back a tad bit.

I will also look into that cartomizer. I mean...with the smoking everywhere e-cig, I bought a BUNCH of pre-filled cartridges...and still have them, and the batteries and stuff. They just seemed very difficult to suck on (the 510 feels like a cadillac in comparison).

Okay...gotta get to work. I'll check back again later.
    Thank you all so much.

OH, and Azraehl...I'll check out those flavors (THANX). I can't even imagine smoking a regular cig anymore. I LOVE flavors (strictlyejuice.com has 100 flavors). So far my favorite is cappuccino I think. melon berry rocks...and I'm awaiting blackberry champagne (which i ordered from americaneliquidstore.com). I'm trying the VG for the first time in that...and hoping I like it. Worth experimenting (and it came highly recommended as being super yummy).

Ter

I would only fully submerge the atomizer in ANY liquid if it was already stone-cold dead. You never know, it might resurrect it (I brought one back from the dead for an extra day or two, then again, it was dead, for good this time it seems).

Just blow it out through the battery end when its COLD, and let it set, cartridge side down on some paper towels (don't want that ucky juice dribbling all over your counter/table/bookshelf/whatever).

My 510 can't keep up with my use it seems. I've tried pretty much every amount of stuffing possible, spring mod, teabag... 5-6 drags and *BURNT*. If I had my way though, I'd just do nothing but puff this little bastard until it exploded. I'll kill my battery in roughly 1 hour, if that helps you gauge it (and that's being aware I have a limited amount of use because I'm not on my passthrough.) Your husband may not be down for it, but you could try dripping if you're feeling adventurous. It doesn't help with the cart life, but I get the same amount of use from a fresh cart before I outrun the ability to wick as I do from dripping. If I let it sit for a while, it's good again. Waiting for the first hint of "burnt" taste is my queue to put the PV down. I generally choose to ignore the warning and re-drip (a typical session for me involves dripping 2 or 3 times.. 2 or 3 drops per time, and spans about 7-10 minutes).

As for stuffing it... Start with what you think you need, and gradually remove a little bit. Use your syringe (you DO have one right? MUCH easier to add/remove liquid from the cart) to top off the cart, and lay it on its side in a tin, on a plate, something. Let it sit a while. If it doesn't leak, suck up a bit more of the juice, remove a tiny bit more of your fluff, top off again and let it sit again. Repeat until it starts to leak a bit, the restuff the last little bit of fluff you pulled out. You should be at the minimum fluff to hold the juice without spillage, which naturally maximizes your juice capacity. Take caution though, as it may be enough stuffing to hold the juice in the cart, but not quite enough to stop from flooding your atomizer (its so terribly complicate isn't it! Never fear, it's not so bad. I enjoy the nit-picking of it.)

I give this advice, but I don't use it much myself, just for filling my wifes carts (once a week. Would you believe she only uses ONE A DAY?!?!?!!?). She doesn't seem to keen on "messing about" with it.
    Last edited by Krystofer; 01-12-2010 at 09:58 AM.

*click image for more* My poor truck!(1993-2010)

Do not assume pm's, emails and IM's to me are private. I will post them publicly at any time I deem appropriate.