Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PG vs VG clarification

Default PG vs VG clarification

I am thinking about trying my hand in mixing some juice myself. I'd just like to get some clarification on the two different bases.

For VG. Produces more vaper. Less allergenic. Juices tend to be less sweet. Can be too "gloopy" and needs to be diluted.

PG: Sweeter juices. Less vaper. Thinner liquid making it less necessary to dilute. Allergies can flair.

All the juices I currently have are PG based. I've had no allergic reactions to it, only the typical cottonmouth if I don't drink much while vaping. I see some people go with a 60 / 40 or 80 / 20 split. Is that just done to increase the vapor production of the juice?

Also where are some good places to get reasonably prices nic juice. I guess it would likely be PG. Would prefer clearer juice. Can be very high nic content as I can easily dilute it (and of course get more use of it).

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by evomac View Post
    I am thinking about trying my hand in mixing some juice myself. I'd just like to get some clarification on the two different bases.

For VG. Produces more vaper. Less allergenic. Juices tend to be less sweet. Can be too "gloopy" and needs to be diluted.

PG: Sweeter juices. Less vaper. Thinner liquid making it less necessary to dilute. Allergies can flair.

All the juices I currently have are PG based. I've had no allergic reactions to it, only the typical cottonmouth if I don't drink much while vaping. I see some people go with a 60 / 40 or 80 / 20 split. Is that just done to increase the vapor production of the juice?

Also where are some good places to get reasonably prices nic juice. I guess it would likely be PG. Would prefer clearer juice. Can be very high nic content as I can easily dilute it (and of course get more use of it).

Thanks in advance.
    Looks like you have the pros and cons down about right. People using 60/40 and other mixes of PG and VG seem to do it mostly for the extra vapor production by adding the VG, also, some devices work better with a thicker juice, and some work better with a thinner juice. All comes down to personal taste and preference. I've done straight PG, Straight VG and now I usually keep it mixed about 50/50. Not a big fan of the straight VG myself as the taste seems to be a little off to me. Could just be that I'm more used to PG based liquid as that is what most suppliers seem to carry. Others can chime in on cheap sources for liquid as I haven't delved too far into making my own yet, other than mixing premade stuff and diluting stuff down.

Nate

I just buy a higher mg flavored juice then I'd normally vape in PG and then I cut it with a bit of VG for extra vapor and reduce the nic a bit and stretch my juices. I don't go 50/50 though. More like 70/30 or 80/20
    Vape on Dudes Merlin Fan Cat

Thanks in advance.
    One correction. VG is sweeter than PG.

If VG is sweeter than PG, what are the added benefits aside from thinning of PG?

I thought that PG was mainly used because of its sweeter tasting juices? If that's not really the case, why not just use VG? Do people actually prefer less sweeter flavors?

You've got some of this backwards, VG is sweeter and much thicker than PG.
    VG produces more vapor than PG.
    SOME people are allergic to PG, most have no problems vaping PG.
    Tastes vary and many people, myself included, do not like sweet flavors
    Drew is like cartoz - they both suck balls

If VG is sweeter than PG, what are the added benefits aside from thinning of PG?

I thought that PG was mainly used because of its sweeter tasting juices? If that's not really the case, why not just use VG? Do people actually prefer less sweeter flavors?
    Well... PG is the base of most commercial e-liquids. Cutting with it all but ensures that the only thing changing is the nic level (and the flavor level if you aren't cutting unflavored liquid or adding additional flavor in). Some folks either don't like the taste or the consistency of VG, or don't want to be bothered with additional ingredients. You'd have to ask them

VG will thicken liquids a bit, and add to the amount of vapor produced. Although it is sweeter, I've not noticed much difference in the flavor of juice with it because I only use about 25% or so in my stuff. I actually mix with both PG and VG.

[edit] I missed part of the point. When you're DIY for liquids, you can use PG alone with flavor. If you are using strictly VG, you'll probably need to thin it a little with either distilled water, alcohol, or an abundance of flavoring. It would depend on if/how much nic liquid you are putting in there. It's possible that the nic liquid and flavoring will cut the VG to a good viscosity. Straight VG doesn't wick well. This may not matter if you only drip. I've never tried dripping straight VG.
    Last edited by Walrus; 12-01-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiso View Post
    You've got some of this backwards, VG is sweeter and much thicker than PG.
    VG produces more vapor than PG.
    SOME people are allergic to PG, most have no problems vaping PG.
    Tastes vary and many people, myself included, do not like sweet flavors
    So if you do prefer a sweeter flavor, would it make more sense to make your juice more VG based? Just use PG to thin it out a little?

Also ...
    Damn man, I feel bad for you. I went up there for vacation once, and I got shit for just opening my mouth at some places. They immediately knew I was from NJ / NY. Plus being a Jets / Yanks fan, walking around seeing Sox and Pats crap everywhere is nauseating. Beautiful city, unfortunately it is marred by its teams / fans

Yes, the more VG the sweeter; however, if you add flavorings to the juice then I doubt you'd need to add VG for sweetness.

I spent the whole playoff/world series period wearing my Yankees hat. People take this shit way too seriously and I love being an asshole!
    Drew is like cartoz - they both suck balls

So if you do prefer a sweeter flavor, would it make more sense to make your juice more VG based? Just use PG to thin it out a little?
    IMO, if you are adding flavoring, the 'sweetness' of PG v VG becomes a very small factor in the taste.

The bigger factors in using VG instead are vapor production and allergy issues.