Thread: No Knead Bread

Jersey Shore, No, not the show, the place.

Default No Knead Bread

I came across this article a couple weeks ago, and finally decided to give it a shot. In the video they use an enameled cast iron dutch oven to bake the bread, I used a plain cast iron dutch oven. It's too damn hot for baking, so I fired up my grill and baked outside. My prep was the same as the video, except I put the dutch oven on a cookie sheet to diffuse the gas flame a bit.

This bread came out fantastic, and looked just like in the video, thick, crunchy crust, moist, dense inside with big air bubbles. This blows any "artisan" bread I can get near me out of the water.

Here is the article from the new york times

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...pagewanted=all

and the video

I usually bake bread in tomato juice cans, and can't wait to try this recipe/method. The cans work well for me because I can get 8 loaves at a time in the oven, with a bit of room to move them around during baking. The round slices are a good size for a sammich.

Quote Originally Posted by Moradiss View Post
    I used a plain cast iron dutch oven. It's too damn hot for baking, so I fired up my grill and baked outside. My prep was the same as the video, except I put the dutch oven on a cookie sheet to diffuse the gas flame a bit.

i do all my summer cooking outside on the grill and burners. I have my grill plumbed up to a 500 lb propane tank. Last all year.lol

I usually bake bread in tomato juice cans,Number 10 can for a big sammich? and can't wait to try this recipe/method. The cans work well for me because I can get 8 loaves at a time in the oven, with a bit of room to move them around during baking. The round slices are a good size for a sammich.
    nice find. I'm already thinking of what to put inside. :encouraging smiley:
    Well, It ain't gonna suck itself.
    Like that's news? Morons. WillyB

Thanks for the share, this looks good.

Yepper, No. 10 can, but not the whole loaf for a sandwich, I slice it in rounds. Bacon, egg and cheese on toasted slices for breakfast doesn't get any better.

I was already thinking to fall and winter. Bake this in smaller loaves, and cutting the top open, scooping out the insides, and filling with beef stew

This looks really good.
    I've been baking bread for years and always stop in the Summer (especially this Summer)
    Doing this on the grill would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Moradiss View Post
    Yepper, No. 10 can, but not the whole loaf for a sandwich, I slice it in rounds. Bacon, egg and cheese on toasted slices for breakfast doesn't get any better.Yummmmm

I was already thinking to fall and winter. Bake this in smaller loaves, and cutting the top open, scooping out the insides, and filling with beef stew
    ooooooooooo. Bread bowl. Sweet.:encouraging smiley:

Dam, now I'm hoongrey.
    Well, It ain't gonna suck itself.
    Like that's news? Morons. WillyB

Had a chunk of this left this morning, got one nice slice, a bit over an inch thick, and tossed it in a bowl. Put two eggs, 1/2 cup of milk, heaping tablespoon of cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons of sugar in the mini food processor. Buzzed it till smooth and frothy, and covered the bread. Let it soak for about an hour, and fried it up slow. Nice crisp edges, the center was like eating egg custard.