Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaper and Diabetic with concerns

Default Vaper and Diabetic with concerns

Hey everyone

To give a bit of background on myself:

I am 32 as of last month and have been Diabetic since I was 12 years old.
    My blood sugar levels routinely run in the 80-100 range over the course of most days.
    If anything I will experience the occasional Hypoglycemic episode. (Low blood sugar)

I have been Vaping now for about 3 weeks and have been doing it exclusively for 2 of those.
    I was a 2 pack a day smoker.

Here is my concern:
    I got some amazingly tasty liquid in RedBull and Cotton Candy flavorings.
    24mg strength 80/20 PG/VG mix.

My sugars over the last 2 days since I got them have risen significantly.
    All other factors being equal (diet/exercise/general health) is it possible that vaping these liquids is causing the rise in sugar levels? (190-220 spikes well after a meal/injection)

I am worried about this, since if there is actual sugar (which I assume there likely is) perhaps vaping is working as a more effective delivery system for it.

If you would like, I can begin a log and post results, however there can be many other contributing factors, so I do not know how potentially useful it would be.
    Thanks for your time and advice.

You need to keep a log and give it to YOUR DOCTOR, no one on this forum is qualified to give you advice on your blood sugar. I personally have stress Diabetes, so if I get stressed my blood sugar can get high or it can get low, so I talk to my doctor when I have a problem cause usually I am getting sick. I can tell you after 2 years vaping it don't made a bit of difference to me personally. That is ME and not anyone else. That is all the advise anyone can give is what they do personally.
    Last edited by taz3cat; 06-18-2010 at 08:49 AM.
    What happened to common sense?
    When did people quit think for themselves?

Dr Ivan Oransky."You all have a universally fatal condition. It’s called pre-death. Every single one of you has it, because you have the risk factor for it, which is being alive.”

"KISS MY VAPING ASS" Treece 2011

"There is NO safe level of Govt stupidity": Patsy Nurse, UK 2011

I suppose I was misunderstood in my intentions and my question.

Let me simplify: Does Vaping sweet sugary e-juice translate to sugar being ingested?

I would not seek medical advice on a forum. That is after all why I pay for my doctor.

[img]http://www.****************.co.uk/banners/26173.png[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    I think Tauk's been going heavy on the fapturbo

either that or he's intentionally being less Satanic as some sort of trap

Jersey Shore, No, not the show, the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlife View Post
    I suppose I was misunderstood in my intentions and my question.

Let me simplify: Does Vaping sweet sugary e-juice translate to sugar being ingested?

I would not seek medical advice on a forum. That is after all why I pay for my doctor.
    In your first post you said you were worried about it, and asked if you should keep a log. Kind of sounds like you're asking for advice.

I would think being a diabetic, you'd already be keeping some sort of log, what your numbers are, what you ate or drank. Just add vaping to it.

There is at least one diabetic here that vapes sweet juices because he can't have the actual sweet treats. If your numbers are spiking 100 plus over normal, maybe you should check with your doctor. If nothing else, first thing in the morning check your numbers, vape a bit, and recheck.

I am not a diabetic, yet, but both my parents are, as well as a sister, and two nephews. I check my numbers almost every morning, and anytime I just don't feel "right". Hope you figure out what's causing the spikes

http://www.ultimatehealing.com/diabetes.html

"Diabetics should avoid any extracts made with a vegetable glycerin base, since this is a very sweet
    substance! Also avoid artificial sweeteners as they are very toxic to the liver"
    I am diabetic also. And I vape 100% VG. Ive read that VG gets turned into glucose upon ingestion.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/etoda...hs-wpljlf.html
    If you do have diabetes, you cannot have any sugar, it must be sugar-free. This is a myth, and the truth is our bodies not only recognize sugar, but they know how to use it. For me, personally, wheat raises my blood sugar more than white sugar. If you do want a safe sugar substitute, I would recommend vegetable glycerin.
    So many conflicting views on Glycerin.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-vegetable-glycerin.htm

Vegetable glycerin is also known as vegetable glycerol. It is a carbohydrate that is usually derived from plant oils. It is used as a sweetener and as an ingredient in a number of cosmetic products. Vegetable glycerin is also used in place of alcohol to extract botanicals.

Glycerin is an organic compound composed of three carbon atoms, hydrogen atoms, and three OH groups. These OH groups form hydrogen bonds with water, slowing down its movement and giving liquid glycerin the property of a syrup. It is also resistant to freezing, a property used in storing sensitive liquids, such as enzymes, in laboratory freezers.

Food-grade vegetable glycerin is 99.7% pure, with the remaining 0.3% being water. It has a sweet taste, but is metabolized differently than sugar and does not raise blood sugar levels. Glycerin is used in foods marketed as being low in carbohydrates to keep them sweet and moist. It also does not contribute to bacterial tooth decay.

Vegetable glycerin is also used as a substitute for alcohol, in making botanical extracts. The advantage of this is that people who do not want to be exposed to alcohol can still have access to the botanical products. The disadvantage is that the resulting products have a much shorter shelf life.

Its solubility in alcohol and water had led to great utility in the manufacturing of products. Glycerin is used in a large number of cosmetic and household products, such as toothpastes and shampoo. It is also a component of glycerin soap, which is often used by people with sensitive skin. This soap acts as moisturizer to prevent the skin from drying out. For this reason, glycerin lotion is also popular.

There are also medical uses for vegetable glycerin. Glycerin suppositories are used as laxatives. It can also be used as a topical remedy for a number of skin problems, including psoriasis, rashes, burns, bedsores, and cuts. Glycerin is also employed to treat gum disease, as it kills associated bacterial colonies.

While glycerin can be made as a by-product of soap that is made from animal fats, it can also be made from plants. The glycerol backbone is part of the basic structure of many lipids. Vegetable glycerin is made from the oils and fats of a plant-based ingredient, generally coconut or palm oil. The oil is heated to a high temperature under pressure with water. The glycerin backbone splits off from the fatty acids, and is absorbed by the water, from which it is then isolated and distilled.
    Last edited by AiricR; 06-18-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    My Fav Juices - TV Blueberry Cheesecake - Nhaler's Octane Cigarillo - Devices - GreenSmoke - Tornado - Xhaler - SBDB - SBPT - Silver Bullet Blk - - Silver Bullet & The OMeGa

Quote Originally Posted by Moradiss View Post
    In your first post you said you were worried about it, and asked if you should keep a log. Kind of sounds like you're asking for advice.

I would think being a diabetic, you'd already be keeping some sort of log, what your numbers are, what you ate or drank. Just add vaping to it.

There is at least one diabetic here that vapes sweet juices because he can't have the actual sweet treats. If your numbers are spiking 100 plus over normal, maybe you should check with your doctor. If nothing else, first thing in the morning check your numbers, vape a bit, and recheck.

I am not a diabetic, yet, but both my parents are, as well as a sister, and two nephews. I check my numbers almost every morning, and anytime I just don't feel "right". Hope you figure out what's causing the spikes
    I do keep a log. I bring my meter to my Dr. appointments and he downloads it to a file as well.

If this is going to turn into a semantics dissection, this will go nowhere.
    Sorry for being so apparently unclear.

I figured I couldn't be the only Diabetic on the web that vapes, that is experiencing any issues like this.

AiricR:
    Thank you for the wonderful information. That is exactly the kind of response I was after.

This was talked about in another thread awhile back. Can't remember the specifics, but I came away thinking it's really how your body reacts to it.

I'm also diabetic. Type 2. For me, vaping VG actually lowers my bgl. Someone said that diabetes is a designer disease. Each of us has different reactions to different carbs. Me, I can eat basmati rice without issue, but any other rice and I'll pass out in about 20mins. Same with potatoes... red bliss or nothing.

Pay attn to your bgl as you vape and make a determination. If the VG is raising your bgl, maybe try PG?
    Sum Addicti, Ergo Vapito

Proud Member of the MERLINATI!

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." — Edward R. Murrow
    Please educate yourself! :encouraging smiley:

http://casaa.org/

And for our friends across the pond...

http://ukvapers.com/blog/23-ecita-blog/

Good Stuff JK.

I intend to start logging any changes, though as you know, it's rough on the fingers...

I also 100% agree with the "designer disease" comment. I am Type 1 (Juvenile onset) and there are SO many factors that can affect the BGL's that it's difficult to take them all into account.

I really just want to make sure that this (Vaping) is in no significant way going to alter my levels.

Likely the spikes are more related to continued lack of sleep from stress, but I have to look out for myself. No one else is gonna do it for me.

Stress = VERY bad for bgls. Also, lack of sleep will destroy my levels. It's a bitch, but if you can maintain your diet, sleep and stress for a few days, thereby removing as many factors as possible, you should get a good idea how you're reacting to VG/vaping.
    Sum Addicti, Ergo Vapito

Proud Member of the MERLINATI!

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." — Edward R. Murrow
    Please educate yourself! :encouraging smiley:

http://casaa.org/

And for our friends across the pond...

http://ukvapers.com/blog/23-ecita-blog/